Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Our Protagonist

"In twenty (2035) or thirty (2045) years the self-learning computers will outsmart the species 'homo sapiens'. For them discussing with us then, is like us discussing with earthworms now." 

Just a random quote that triggered my mind during a masterclass a couple of weeks ago. Like discussing with an earthworm! I never talk to earthworms. Do you? For me they are: fish bait or those animals who keep the soil airy. I never talk to them - I talk to the chickens but not to earthworms. I never discuss  with them.

What do earthworms think? Earthworm language - an aptitude test:
# begin #
I need food! I crawl further. Tasty little worms. Eat! Nice, another one. Eat! Stone material, I must go around those. Annoying also a tree root. Underneath! Corridor. I've been here before. I move further. More food. Eat this! That! And that! I am about to explode. Let me take a nap under that big tree. Sleep! Awake, what do I feel above me? It's the rhythm of rain. Quick! Move up, on the surface there's always enough to nibble between the grass: dung and decomposing animals. Yummy. It's nice here. Just eat a little more. Never stay too long on the surface because it's danger.  Later tonight I will return to have sex with other worms. With others is better than have sex alone. Much better. Move back.
# end #

And just before she/he [note] went back in her/his corridor to 'Sleep!' a blackbird came along. Who quickly grabbed - veni, vidi, vici - our protagonist in her mouth. A few moments later the senses of our earthworm stopped getting fresh input.

Imagine that we are the earthworm in 2045. Who or what is the blackbird? And whose eyes write and read this fable?

[Note] Earthworms are hermaphrodites. They are 'she' and 'he' at the same time because they have both female and male sexual organs.

No comments:

Post a Comment