Maria Nys was married to Aldous Huxley. She was the eldest of four sisters: Maria (1899-1955), Jeanne, Suzanne and Rose. Claire, the eldest daughter of Suzanne, wrote a family history in the book 'The Elephant and the Rose' (2003). Lovely read with a lot of details.
Did you know:
- She was born in Sint-Truiden (French: Saint-Trond), a city located in the province of Limburg, Flemish Region, Belgium.
- 'The Elephant' was the name of a wholesale grocery shop and 'The Rose' of a dry goods store next door. The girl next door, married to the boy next door. Making a family fortune.
- At home they mainly spoke French.
- All four sisters were married to writers, poets and artists.
- Maria was a motherly woman (a request of one of Aldous aunts) because above all that was what Aldous needed and she provided it.
- Maria and Aldous met at Garsington Manor, near Oxford, England. The home of Lady Ottoline and her husband, Philip Morrell. Maria was the niece of George-Marie Baltus, a friend of Lady Ottoline.
Matthew, Maria and Aldous Huxley:
P.S. The two pictures are not in this book. I found them on The Internet.