Wrote a blogpost 'Benincasa 1468 and 1469. Four Most Important Maps' #caboverde
Wednesday, November 26, 2014
Friday, November 21, 2014
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Last couple of years I feel very Zen - without really knowing what Zen is. What I mean is: I feel very in balance. You probably say "you always are."
For me it's a category mistake if someone says "life makes or has no sense".
For me it's like this. Sense is senses getting data for perception. Our mind is interpreting the data: what we see, smell, hear, taste, feel etcetera. In my vocabulary, being alive means our senses get data for perception. Death means: getting no more data for perception. So life can't be senseless. Data overload yes but never senses not getting data. And what surprises me most is, that most of the time we don't realize it at all. Isn't it wonderful?
Wednesday, November 12, 2014
As you know I am into the Cabo Verde islands. Interested in: maps, history, travelogues and the general picture of the Portuguese exploring the world since the 15th Century.
Cortesão's book 'History of Portuguese Cartography' (1969-1971) opened many tracks for me.
These are the tracks I want to follow (update November 12th, 2014):
- A. Teixeira da Mota 'Cinco Séculos de Cartografia das Ilhas de Cabo Verde' (1961). Five centuries of Cabo Verde maps.
- Website 'Ilhas, Portos e Cidades. Cartografia de Cabo Verde (séculos XVIII-XX)'. Maps of the 18th - 20th Century.
- Cortesão, Armando 'Descobrimento e representação das ilhas de Cabo Verde na cartografia antiga' (1976) in 'Memórias da Academia das Ciências de Lisboa: Classe de Ciências', Tomo XXI (21). Lisboa, Imprensa Nacional. pp. 229-250. More details from Cortesão
- A Dutch connection to Cabo Verde? CV coast or CV islands? Check out: island Gorée on wikipedia.
- A. Lyall 'Black and White Make Brown' (1938). Reviews: here. Living on the Cabo Verde islands around 1930.
- Dutch travelogues about the Cabo Verde islands? Are there any? Interesting?
Wednesday, November 5, 2014
Wrote a blogpost 'Benincasa 1468 Princes of Trabia. Islands in Blue, Red, Gold Leaf and Green' #caboverde