Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Patina

Nobility. Old money. Upper class. The patina of generations that transformed the parvenu or nouveau riche into old money. Usually three generations. 

I am never able to see a King, Duke or Baron without asking myself: who was the parvenu that brought you the money and (noble) titles?

Did you know that William I (1028-1087), 1st King of England, was the illegitimate son of Robert I, Duke of Normandy? And that he gained his title by conquering England?

Did you know that J.D. Rockefeller (1839-1937) made his money with oil, kerosene and gasoline?

Did you know that Duarte Pio, 24th Duke of Braganza (born 1945) descends from an illegitimate son of King João I who gained his titles by intrigues?

What do you think? What made the Spencers rich? Picture below: Charles Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer  (born 1964) before his Althorp House.

No comments:

Post a Comment