Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Lillies of the field. Coincidence?

Look! Look at the lillies of the field! They don't work. They are not worried about what to wear, eat and think. They don't puzzle about the "revolution" in Egypt. They are not distracted by the ups and downs of love. They are not worried about their kids.

Aristotle asserts that plants - a lily is a plant - possess a vegetative soul, responsible for reproduction and growth. Plants don't move and are not sensitive like animals. Plants don't think and reflect like 'homo sapiens'.

I'm fascinated by the fact that vegetative organisms seem very similar to happy people. They coincide. They are identical. It's something that pops up in my mind every now and then. That puzzles me for more than 25 years.

Last week I was strolling a little. Killing time because my two daughters had their weekly gymnastics. I passed a house. In it, two people (man and wife?) sitting in their livingroom watching TV. They seemed to me perfectly happy. They had everything they need(ed): food, drinks, love and shelter. All they did was breathing in and out. In and out. In and out. Just like a plant. Without the need to #move or #dream.

Questions:
  • Are happy people/ couples identical to plants?
  • What is the definition of happy/ happiness?
  • What is my blind spot on this?
What's your opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment