Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Let it Go!

What a lovely, hot september 2021. The sky is perfectly blue. As if summer just started now, right after my four week summerholiday ended. I read a litte, painted my house (every year another part), went to Gouda, Roermond and Arnhem for one day and worked on a new paper.

Last week I received my etnicity results from MyHeritageDNA: 100% North and West European. This result surprised me a litte because I was expecting some ammount of Spanish but it was 0%. One of my great-great-...-mothers from my fathers side of the family had a last name "Spaans" (English: Spanish) and was also a foundling. So I presupposed that some Spanish (fe)male left his/ her DNA in my DNA. If I am happy with the results? Well, DNA is what it is. Every result would have been OK for me. I've no idea how to interpret etnicity results. How deep are these? How about Charlemagne and Dzjengis Khan? No roman (read: italian) DNA? No azian DNA?

Yesterday evening I saw on Netflix for the first time in many many months a film I really liked: The Age of Adaline (2015). How lovely. Beautiful. "Let it go!" Yes, let it go.

I have been thinking about this quote of Umberto Eco. It makes my skin crawl but I don't know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment