Friday, March 27, 2020

Last Night You Slept In Goose-feather Bed

The song 'Raggle Taggle Gypsies Oh' is according to Wikipedia (here) a popular traditional folk song that originated as a Scottish border ballad. It concerns a rich lady who runs off with a gypsy.

Quote from song:

There were three old gypsies; came to our hall door
They came brave and bold-ee-oh
And there's one sang high and the other sang low
And the lady sang the Raggle Taggle gypsie-oh

(...)

Oh why did you leave your house and your land
Why did you leave your money-oh
And why did you leave your only wedded Lord
To be off with the Raggle Taggle Gypsy-oh

What do I care for me house and me land
What do I care for money-oh
And what do I care for me only wedded Lord
I'm away with the Raggle Taggle Gyspy-oh

 Derek Ryan's version of this song: here.

No comments:

Post a Comment