Monday, March 25, 2019

Some Kind of Blue

A few days ago I visited Our Lady's Cathedral of Antwerp in Belgium.

I love the peace and quietness of churches. Walk around and puzzle on what I am supposed to see and "feel". Wonder about all the generations that "invested" for "free" in churches.

I love the blue and light of Maria with child in this painting. 

Back home I realized that it's not a 16th or 17th century painting because the red cross emblem that the kneeling woman on the left bears did not exist back then - its use was agreed upon starting from 1863.

When I looked in greater detail I saw the uniform of the kneeling man on the left: Allied uniform of World War I, for sure!




Today I checked out the exact date and more details of the painting. 

Location: chapel of Our Lady of Peace. Altar painting is from Jozef Janssen, 'Our Lady of Peace' (1924). The painting represents World War I. King Albert of Belgium in militairy uniform and queen Elizabeth of Belgium in nurse's uniform of the red cross. Jesus offers peace with an olive branch.

More information: here (paragraph 'The chapel of Our Lady of Peace. Formerly Saint Barbara').

P.S. Maria with child paintings in a church depicting a World War I or II theme are rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment