Wednesday, November 3, 2021

More Questions

It was on the cemetery of the little village I grew up in. I never told you before about this life-changing event.
On an evening in the summer of 1970 (may be some years earlier or later) a group of 6 to 8 "students" were playing a blasphemous play in the large chapel - by the way a perfect stage for plays - in the middle of the cemetery. Their play interrupted our hide and seek. I was flabergasted. Young adults (boys and girls) doing blasphemous acts on holy ground. How could they? What would our pastor think of this? The police came and arrested them. Everyone was outraged. 

And I? I had no words for what was happening before my eyes but what I understood right away was that they were deadly serious about rejecting the obvious religion in my village. The seriousness of their drama and the trite reasons why it was blasphemy gave me, then and there, more questions than answers. The beginning for me of a lifelong quest that continues to this day. Without them I would not have become the man I am today. Not without you, by the way. But that is another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment