Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Memory Lane

I walked the 'International Four Days Marches Nijmegen' six times. In 1991, 1997, 2013 (at age 49), 2014, 2015 and 2016. The first three times 4 * 50 km. The last three times 4 * 40 km. Why? Because I wanted to proof to the "world" I was able to and because I wanted to have the 'Cross for the Four Day Marches #6' - mark that every number of this cross is different.


Walking four days 40 or 50 kilometer is a tough exercise! Where one needs good legs and a mind in balance. Walking distances like that is above all a fight in your own head. Fighting against sleep, laziness and pain.

The book 'De Vriendelijkste Marathon ter Wereld' (in Dutch) is a collection of 37 'Four Days Marches Nijmegen' stories. Most of the stories are from participants who walked this march themselves. I loved to read the stories but was a bit disappointed in the collection. Too much nagging and emphasis on the walking achievement. As if it is a superhuman achievement. It's not! Every year 90% (mostly more) of the participants are able to reach the finish. Be prepared! Walk! Nothing more. Nothing less. 


Read this book? Yes, it's a memory lane for those who walked and for those who would like to walk the 'International Four Days Marches Nijmegen'. 

P.S. Source picture: here.
P.P.S. I am very proud on my #6. I wrote about it before in 'Proud' (July 2016).
P.P.P.S. Statistics of dropout percentage 1909-2017 can be found: here

No comments:

Post a Comment